Recent Meetings and News
Draft Revision for member review and vote at the March 2017 meeting:
Local information added to National Mandatory Bylaws—Drafted 1/31/17
ARTICLE VII. AFFILIATE BYLAWS FOR AAUW LAS VEGAS
Section 1. Indemnification. Every member of the Affiliate Board may be indemnified by the state against all expenses and liabilities, including counsel fees, reasonably incurred or imposed upon such members of the Council in connection with any threatened, pending or completed action, suit or proceeding to which the Council member may become involved by reason of being or having been a member of the state, or any settlement thereof, unless adjudged therein to be liable for negligence or misconduct in the performance of duties. In the event of a settlement, the indemnification herein shall apply only when the Council approves such settlement and reimbursement as being in the best interest of the state. The foregoing right of indemnification shall be in addition to and not exclusive of all other rights to which the member of the Council is entitled.
Section 2. Affiliate Nominations and Elections. A nominating committee of three members shall be elected by the Affiliate Board of Directors at least two months prior to the annual election.
(a) Slate of Candidates. The names of nominees shall be presented at the Affiliate meeting one month prior to the election, or in writing to each member at least one week before the election.
(b) Nominations. Nominations may be made from the floor at the time of the election, provided written consent of the nominee has been obtained.
(c) Voting. Voting shall be by ballot and a majority of the votes cast shall be necessary for the election. When there is but one nominee for office, the vote may be taken by voice.
Section 3. Affiliate Officers and Duties.
(1) Executive Committee. The Affiliate elected officers shall be president, at least two vice-presidents including program and membership, secretary, and treasurer. These officers will constitute the Affiliate Executive Committee. Only Affiliate members in good standing shall be elected officers.
(2) Board. There shall be appointed Affiliate officers for Public Policy and such other officers as shall be deemed necessary to carry out the work of the Affiliate. These officers shall be appointed by the Affiliate President with the approval of the executive committee. The Affiliate immediate past president will serve on the board as a Director.
(3) Terms. All Affiliate officers shall take office July 1. All Affiliate officers shall serve for a term of two years or until their successors have been elected or appointed and assume office.
(4) Limits. No Affiliate officer shall hold more than one office at a time and no elected officer shall be eligible to serve more than three consecutive terms in the same office. Terms will be staggered so that no less than one third of the board is up for reelection each year.
(5) Vacancies. A vacancy in an Affiliate office, excluding the president, shall be filled for the unexpired term by the board of directors appointment of a member. A vacancy in the office of the president shall be filled by the elected officers in the following order: program vice-president and membership vice-president.
(6) Co-Officers. Each Affiliate office may be filled by an officer or co-officers.
(1) Governance. Affiliate officers shall perform the duties prescribed by these bylaws, the rules of policies and procedures adopted by the board of directors, by the Parliamentary Authority designated in these bylaws, and AAUW bylaws and/or policies.
(2) President. The President shall be the official spokesperson and representative for the Affiliate and shall be responsible for submitting such reports and forms as required by AAUW.
(3) Vice-Presidents. The Vice-Presidents shall perform such duties as the Affiliate president and board shall direct and as specified in policies and job descriptions.
(4) Finance Officer. The finance officer (Treasurer) shall be responsible for collecting, distributing, and accounting for the funds of the Affiliate and for meeting specific deadlines.
(5) Secretary. The Secretary shall record and keep minutes of all board, membership, and special meetings.
(6) Reports. All current officers and chairs shall provide Affiliate reports to incoming officers.
(7) Responsibilities. The Affiliate board shall have the power to administer affairs of the Affiliate and to carry out its programs and policies. It shall act for the Affiliate between meetings. The Affiliate board shall have fiscal responsibility.
(8) Removal From Office. A member of the Affiliate board of directors may be removed for any reason by a two-thirds vote of the board in accordance with policies and procedures adopted by AAUW.
(1) Standing and Special Committees. The Affiliate president may establish standing and special committees as needed and with consent of the Affiliate board.
(2) Assignments. With the approval of the Affiliate board, each standing and special committee shall formulate programs and activities to carry out the mission of AAUW.
Section 4. Meetings.
(a) Affiliate Meetings.
(1) Annual Meeting. The Affiliate shall hold an annual meeting to conduct the business of the Affiliate, including but not limited to electing officers, establishing dues, amending bylaws, and receiving reports. This meeting shall be held during the month of May.
(2) Membership Meetings. The Affiliate shall hold at least four meetings during the fiscal year. The board shall determine the date, time, and place for these meetings.
(3) Special Meetings. Special meetings may be called by the Affiliate president and shall be called by the president at the written request of two members of the board or Affiliate membership.
(4) Meetings Notice. Members shall be notified of all Affiliate meetings at least seven days prior to meetings.
(5) Quorum. The quorum shall be 15 percent of the Affiliate membership.
(6) Location. Meeting locations will be determined by the Affiliate executive board.
(b) Affiliate Board Meetings.
(1) Number of Meetings. The board of directors will hold at least four meetings per year.
(2) Special and/or Emergency Board Meetings. Electronic/teleconference meetings are permitted. Board votes may be conducted through email.
Section 5. Financial Administration.
(a) Fiscal Year. The fiscal year shall correspond with that of AAUW.
(b) Financial Policies. The Affiliate board shall set and maintain policies and procedures to control financial records consistent with generally accepted accounting principles and federal, state, and local laws (including an annual financial review).
(c) Budget. The Affiliate board shall adopt an annual budget for presentation to the Affiliate membership.
(1) Dues. Affiliate dues include national + state + branch affiliate dues for membership in the affiliate.
(2) Renewal. Dues are payable upon joining and members in good standing may renew the membership by paying dues each May 1st.
(3) Affiliate Dues. Affiliate dues shall be established by a two-thirds vote of members present at the annual meeting.
Section 6. Bylaws. Affiliate bylaws that are not governed by AAUW bylaws may be amended at an Affiliate meeting by two-thirds vote of those present and voting, provided written notice had been given to Affiliate members at least 10 days prior to the meeting.
Date Last Amended: January 14, 2017
Saturday, January 21, 2017 at 11:30 am — AAUW LV Luncheon Meeting at the Main Street Station Social Club
Program: Linda Kass from High Desert International Film Festival®
Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 11:30 am — AAUW LV Luncheon Meeting at the Main Street Station Social Club. Dr. Jeffrey Geihs, School Associate Superintendent, Clark County School District Turnaround Zone shared the successes of this innovative program.
Saturday, January 9 at 11:30 am we held the Monthly Meeting and Luncheon at the Main Street Station.
The Honorable Cheryl Moss, Family Court Judge and President of AAUW Las Vegas, spoke about the Las Vegas Court System. The group held a memorial for past president Charlene Bolyard.
Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 6:30 pm — AAUW LV West supported the Nevada Women’s Lobby Nevada Women’s Lobby event honoring some AAUW members.
Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 11:30 am — AAUW LV Luncheon Meeting at the Main Street Station
Program: Michael Dimengo, CEO of The Center serving the LGBT community of Las Vegas
Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 6:30 pm — AAUW LV West Meeting at the Innevations Center, 3rd floor
Program: Turning your Passion into a Paycheck! Author Trina Boyce and Heidi Peters, a Communications Strategist, will give us tips on how to do what we love and get paid for it.
Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 11:30 am — AAUW LV Installation and Meeting at the Main Street Station
Program: Daliah Wachs, MD, is also known as “Dr. Daliah” from her top-rated radio show. She’s starting another career adventure at the newest medical program in Las Vegas and will share information about this innovative program and, as always, answer questions.
May 16 Tour at Channel 8 TV Studio
Friday and Saturday, May 20-22, 2016 — Boulder City hosts the AAUW State Convention at the Boulder Dam Hotel. Register by May 5th!
We are honored that Alicia Hetman, Vice President of AAUW, will be with us throughout the entire convention. What a fantastic way to meet a national leader up close and personal. We will also be graced with Sarah Blithe PHD, University of Nevada, speaking about “Gender Equality as it Relates to Work-Life Balance”. Hear about the Nevada Coalition for Women’s Equity, a group of women’s organizations working toward the passage of the paycheck fairness act at the 2017 legislative session (AAUW Nevada was the founding member of this Coalition). Check our website at http://aauw-nv.aauw.net/ to see the complete program.
May 23 Book Club I THE NIGHTINGALE
May 25 Book Club II HELGA’S DIARY
Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 11:30 am — AAUW LV met for lunch at the Main Street Station Social Club and to Meet the Candidates! AAUW Las Vegas is non-partisan as an organization, but are members are very involved in getting out the vote and advocacy. All Nevada candidates who will be on the ballot this Fall were be invited and many came to introduce themselves to us at this luncheon meeting.
Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 11:30 am — AAUW LV Luncheon Meeting at the Main Street Station Pullman Room
Program: Our Annual Silent Auction for wonderful gift baskets, certificates, baked goods, and more….to benefit Local Scholarships. Our speaker was the chairman of the Never Give Up Foundation.
Saturday, December 3rd at 11 am. Field Trip to V Village, 1150 Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89104. V Village is a retrofitted motel that houses U.S. Veterans and offers comprehensive medical care and mental health care. Lunch followed at a local restaurant.
December 10 AAUW Las Vegas Christmas Party at Kae’s home from 1-4 p.m. Bring a favorite hors d’oeuvres and a wrapped white elephant gift.
December 12 Boulder City Home Tour 1-4 p.m. Call Laura Pyzer for tickets!
On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 11:30 am we met at the Bellagio Atrium for lunch in the adjacent Tea Room. After lunch, those who wanted to view the Faberge Egg Display enjoyed the exhibit.
Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 11:30 am Monthly Meeting and Luncheon at Teddie Brewer’s house
Topic: Valentine’s Day Social (networking and prizes). Join us for this special event where we can socialize with AAUW friends.
February 22 & 23, 2015 (Sunday & Monday) Nevada Women’s Lobby Grassroots Lobby Days (GLD) in Carson City. Grassroots Lobby Days has been an effective and respected event since its inception in 1991 and the Nevada Women’s Lobby needs your financial help as a sponsor in 2015. To learn more about this event visit http://www.nevadawomenslobby.org/grassroots-lobby-days-2/
On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 11:30 am, we held our Monthly Meeting and Luncheon at Main Street Station
Topic: Human Trafficking, Gwendolyn “Lou” Pascoe, will lead the panel of experts.
Cost: $20 for lunch and program
RSVP to our reservation hotline: (702) 594-2929
More details about our March program: Gwendolyn “Lou” Pascoe has devoted much of her life to public service and safety. As Director for the Southern Nevada Human Trafficking Task Force, a program of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, Lou provides leadership and administration of the Task Force to accomplish its mission to combat all forms of trafficking – sex trafficking and labor trafficking. Lou promotes a multi-disciplinary approach to achieving the mission by engaging local, state, and federal agencies and non-governmental organizations in a collaborative effort. Congressman Joe Heck sent a representative to report on the progress of Enhancing Services for Runaway and Homeless Victims for Youth Trafficking Act of 2015 (H.R. 468). Dianna Morgan from Vegas PBS discussed the special report it produced on this important issue. To view special reports on this issue, see:
Sex Trafficking: It’s Our Business: http://video.vegaspbs.org/video/2365414479/
A Path Appears: http://apathappears.org/film/
On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 11:30 am, AAUW LV teamed with League of Women Voters, Las Vegas Valley for a joint meeting at the Main Street Station. Catherine Cortez Masto has agreed to speak at the event, but cancelled on the day before the meeting. Dr. Barbara Atkinson, Planning Dean of the UNLV School of Medicine, presented an excellent program about the new program and ways we can assist with this worthy project. http://news.unlv.edu/article/qa-dr-barbara-Atkinson
On Saturday, September 12, 2015, 11:30 am at the Main Street Station, Pullman Room, Patricia Martinelli Price, from Pulidor Foundation, spoke about Indians of Nevada—Spirit of Nations.
Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 6:00 pm — AAUW LV West Meeting
Location: Enterprise Library at 25 E Shelbourne Ave, Las Vegas, NV 89123 (just south of Windmill/Blue Diamond on Las Vegas Blvd).
Program: This was a new meeting time for AAUW Las Vegas and AAUW Boulder City members who want to meet in the evening. We’ll be discussing speakers and getting to know each other at this first meeting. Friends/guests are welcome.
Saturday, October 17, 2015 11:00 am— Let’s Get Together Outing!
Tour of the Neon Boneyard and Lunch
Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 6:00 pm AAUW LV West Meeting
Location: Innevations—6795 S Edmond St, Las Vegas, NV 89118 (Between Jones and Decatur off of Roy Horn Way south of 215)
Program: Pay Equity
Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 11:30 am — AAUW LV Annual Scholarship Fundraiser
Location: Main Street Station, Social Room, 200 N Main St, Las Vegas, NV 89101
Program: Holiday Gift Bazaar and Special Speaker, TV Anchorwoman Paula Francis